Monday, May 30, 2011

And It Begins.

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Goldilocks.  She  went for a walk in the forest.  Pretty soon, she came upon a house.  She knocked and, when no one answered, she walked right in."

I have been thinking about how often to blog ( –noun 1. a web site containing the writer's or group of writers' own experiences, observations, opinions, etc., and often having images and links to other Web sites. -verb (used without object) 2. to maintain or add new entries to a blog.) Am I the only person who dislikes circular definitions?

As well, I've wondered how long a blog should be. The consensus ( "How Long is...." and "How Many Words...." Two may not be a consensus, but I am limited in words.) is about 500 words with the caveat that any blog should be written to the subject and images should be added (crap!) There's that pesky learning  new skills requirement. Thank goodness for Blogger. It makes all of this easy. (See added image at the top)

I played with the idea of posting three times a week and then I remembered last week's schedule and cringed.

How do I figure out how many words this is? Am I too short? Too long? Or just enough? A little past the halfway mark. I copied and pasted into a word document and then let it count the words. I'll be able to save the blog, too, in case the cyber wonkies eat the post. This is technology and the one thing I have learned about technology is that bad things will happen. Motherboards die right before you back up everything. Viruses infect your machines and before you realize it, you've infected every thumb drive with all of your back up.

But wait, this is supposed to be about how often I'll post. I don't know. I know that I'll post at least once a week and maybe more. I may aim for three posts a week, and that may drive me crazy. Let's face it, I can already tell that this is going to be another thing I use to procrastinate from accomplishing my goal of finishing the blessed book. "Writing, writing every where and not a 'The End' in sight." (paraphrased from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner)

Having started with Goldilocks and the Three Bears, I'll finish with her, too. I don't feel like this yet, but I understand her motivation.

"Just then, Goldilocks woke up and saw the three bears.  She screamed, "Help!"  And she jumped up and ran out of the room.  Goldilocks ran down the stairs, opened the door, and ran away into the forest.  And she never returned to the home of the three bears."

(457 words plus these makes 461. Done 462. Good christ, shut up already, Maria. 468)

No comments:

Post a Comment